These pages have been created as a guide to assist you in identifying the various options that are available for your student. It will also be a tool in developing your student's Individualized Education and Transition Plans (IEP and ITP).

Between the ages of 18-21 years, young adults with disabilities and their families must exchange the security of the school environment for a complex system of adult service programs. The federal, state and local agencies that support adults with disabilities each have very different sets of rules and requirements and, unlike the schools, are not mandated to serve all citizens. It is important to remember that while all students are entitled to a free appropriate education, access to adult services is based on eligibility and availability of funds.


IEP-Individualized Education Plan. Developed each year in the Case Review conference with parents, teachers, and student. This plan outlines your student's goals and objectives for the upcoming school year.

ITP-Individualized Transition Plan. A part of the IEP, developed annually once the student turns the age of 14. It guides the development of the special education and related services; the student will pursue a diploma or certificate of graduation.

Guardianship-When a student turns 18, he/she becomes his/her own legal guardian, unless a court determines otherwise. You should seek legal advice if you have questions.

BDDS-Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services. The BDDS assists eligible developmentally delayed individuals to receive the community and residential support needed for success. Contact your local office for eligibility requirements and do so early as there is a long waiting list.

VR-Vocational Rehabilitation. VR works with eligible individuals with disabilities to achieve their employment goals. Applicants must have a mental or physical impairment that substantially interferes with their ability to work. Students should apply to VR during their final two years of high school.

Medicaid-Provides coverage for persons of limited income and resources that require ongoing medical assistance. Here is a video that  shows parents how to fill out the Medicaid Waiver paperwork: .

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.