Frequently Asked Questions

1. Does it cost anything to have my child tested?

No--this service is free of charge and the responsibility of the school corporation.

2. Does the school have to test my child if I ask?

The school is required to gather data to determine if there is a need for testing (academic and behavioral). If the school determines there is not any data to support the need for testing they are legally able to refuse. If the parent disagrees he or she can file for a due process hearing under state special education law. The parent and school would both present their data and the hearing officer would decide on a verdict much like a court of law.

3. How long does the school have to test my child?

50 school days unless otherwise specified in writing on the notice of initial evaluation.


4. Can you test my child for dyslexia?

A school corporation cannot test for dyslexia. This is medical/clinical diagnosis which must be made by a clinical psychologist at the expense of the parent. The school can test for a "specific learning disability" in the area of reading which is an educational diagnosis.


5. I want my child tested for ADHD. Can the school do that?

A school corporation cannot test for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. This is a medical diagnosis made by a doctor. A school can however test for the likelihood of attention problems and if these are present and significant the school can provide services to the student under the educational diagnosis of "Other Health Impaired."


6. My child is medically diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and my doctor said he needs an IEP. Is that true?

A student with a medical diagnosis of Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, or Pervasive Developmental Disorder may or may not qualify for the educational diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. This will depend upon the needs of the student and is a case conference decision after a complete educational evaluation is done. You should call the school psychologist and request testing for an Autism Spectrum Disorder. A Section 504 plan is available to students who have a medical diagnosis but do not qualify under Indiana law for special education and related services.


7. What is the difference between consultation and resource?

A student on consultation has a special education teacher check in with them about grades usually once per grading period, but does not have any direct special education services. This student usually has adequate self-advocacy skills and uses his or her accommodations without prompting. The student's grades are usually passing without assistance or support in the classroom. A student who has resource time needs daily monitoring for organization and assignment completion. The student goes to the resource room each day for a scheduled amount of time (per the IEP) for study skills assistance and instruction in self-advocacy skills. The goal for a resource student is to become less and less reliant on staff to help them with organization and work completion. Students who master these skills in the resource room are usually moved to consultation if that is determined to be the least restrictive environment by the case conference committee.


8. Does Alexandria Community School Corporation have self-contained classrooms for students who need those?

Alexandria Community School Corporation is part of the Anderson Community School Corporation Cooperative and we work together to provide special education services to our students. Alexandria Community School Corporation is able to provide inclusion (in the regular class) with resource support and we have one self-contained classroom for mild interventions at Alexandria Monroe Elementary School (K-2 multiage), as well as one self-contained mild interventions classroom at Alexandria Monroe Intermediate School (grades 3-6 multiage). Students with more significant or low incident disabilities for whom the case conference determines have a need for a self-contained placement are bussed to Anderson for self-contained moderate interventions, intense interventions, functional skills, severe emotional disabilities, and sometimes Blind/Low Vision or Deaf/Hard of Hearing.


9. What is Vocational Rehabilitation? When do I apply?

Vocational Rebilitation Services (VRS), a program of the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS), provides quality individualized services to enhance and support people with disabilities to prepare for, obtain or retain employment. Through active participation in their rehabilitation, people with disabilities achieve a greater level of independence in their work place and living environments. A student with a disability should apply to VRS during the spring of the junior year of high school. The following link is how to apply:


10. What are the different diploma options available to students with disabilities?

All diploma options available to non-disabled students are available to disabled students as long as they meet all of the requirements. In Alexandria, all types of diplomas, except for the general diploma, are 47 credits. The general diploma is 40 credits and the parent must sign to switch to this diploma. The general diploma is a real high school diploma and you can be admitted to most two year colleges or technical programs with it. The general diploma is not a GED--a GED is not a real high school diploma. GED programs are available through Anderson High School and some other community organizations in Madison County at parent/student expense.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.